Per Ardua Ad Astra
The Terran Confederation Armed Forces (TCAF) is the military organisation responsible for the defence of the Terran Confederation of Planets. It consists of the Terran Confederate Navy (TCN), Terran Confederate Army (TCA), Terran Confederate System Patrol (TCSP) and a number of ‘Joint-Service’ units. The TCAF has strength of almost 750 Million full time personnel and almost double that in active reservists and is supported by the Department of Defence, Department of Justice and several other civilian agencies.
The Terran Confederation Armed Forces where established in 86C.E in direct response to the existing confederate police force’s lack of ability to respond to the outbreak of mass unrest on the colony worlds, on the 25th August 86C.E (2505) the Senate signed the Terran Confederation Armed Forces act officially creating the Terran Confederate Navy and Terran Confederate Army, over the next two decades it became necessary for a number of the navy and armies sub-groups to be split into their own organisations both to allow more efficient command and control and to allow them access to their own budget, despite this the TCAF has maintained overall strategic command of the military and most headquarters, logistic and training institutions are joint-service establishments.
The TCAF is considered to be the premiere defence force in the human sphere with main units supplied with the latest in human based technology and it maintains a 2:1 ratio on the next largest known defence force, the Corporate Defence Force (CDF).
The TCAF legal standing draws on the executive sections of the Terran Confederation Constitution, section 42-2 gives the Confederate Federal Government the power to make laws regarding the defence of the Confederation and its defence force, Section 121 of the constitution prevents the Federal Government from precluding member planets and systems who have been recognised as full members from establishing local system patrols or police and section 158 gives the Federal Government the responsibility for maintaining the defence of Confederate space from outside force as well as specifying the conditions under which the government may employ the defence force domestically.
Section 53 sets out the TCAF’s command arrangements. The section states that “The commander in chief of the Naval and Military Forces of the Terran Confederation is vested in the President acting as the people’s representative”. In practice however the President generally does not play an active part in the TCAF’s command structure, instead the current majority government through the appointed cabinets Sectary of Defence, Under Sectary of Defence and Joint Chiefs of Staff exercise this control. In most matters the Sectary of Defence will work with the Federal Security Council (FSC) to consider important matters and then advice the President who acts generally as advised. The Federal Government is not required to seek Senate approval in the declaration of War, however any domestic actions must have Senate approval as outlined in section 158-43.
Every ten years the TCAF conducts a full review of its current situation and issues a Defence White Paper, the last was issued in June 2221C.E to the Whiting Government and sort to outline the various security challenges that the Confederation was facing and to set out an appropriate role for each section of the TCAF in meeting those challenges. The 2221CE white paper specifically noted that the Confederation was facing the severe threat of another civil uprising along it’s frontier systems due to the lack of senate oversight and growing corruption among the out system governments. This coupled with recent attacks by the Accord and continued tension along the Federate Free Worlds boarder called for an increase in production to replace older assets. With the terrorist attacks on the Earth and Mars QEC Network and the outbreak of wide spread civil unrest in 2225 the TCAF has shifted its priorities to stop the spread of fighting while maintaining defensive posture on its borders in case any of the smaller governments attempt to use the current situation to their advantage.
The Terran Confederation has maintained military forces ever since its creation on 1C.E. Shortly after the federation the Government formed the Terran Confederate System Police which was originally formed by taking 75% of each systems space born defence assets. While this system appeared to work the outbreak of the 1st Confederate Civil War quickly showed that while the System Police where capable of handling pirates they were not capable of the coordination required to act as an actual full scale defence force against a well-equipped and determined aggressor. In response the Government requested senate approval for the creation of two dedicated forces, the Terran Confederate Navy who would be responsible for all space based operations and the Terran Confederate Army who would be responsible for all Planets bound operations in 86C.E As part of this act much of the System Police’s forces where immediately transferred to the Navy greatly reducing their ability to combat local piracy.
Due to this in the years following the end of the 1st Civil War piracy saw a 420% increase, this prompted in 103C.E the Navy to request the creation of a dedicated branch for the patrolling and maintaining of local systems from rouge units and in 104C.E the senate approved the creation of the Terran Confederation System Patrol and the Navy formally handed the patrol system policing duties in 109 C.E.
Terran Confederate Navy (T.C.N)
The Terran Confederate Navy (TCN) is the naval branch of the Terran Confederate Armed Forces. It operates 372,000 vessels of all sizes including corvettes, destroyers, cruisers, battle cruisers, carriers, dreadnaughts and auxiliary ships. It is considered the most advanced human fleet in existence and is responsible for the defence of the Terran Confederation from any space born threat except those mandated specifically to System Patrol. Given that without the navy the confederation would be unable to defend any of its member worlds it is considered the most important of the three defence organisations.
There are Five parts to the TCN’s structure, Fleet Command (FleetCom), Marine Command (MarCom), Naval Intelligence (IntCom), Logistics Command (LogCom) and Strategic Command (StratCom). The Navy assets are administered by these command groups who report to the Commander Naval Forces.
Fleet Command (FleetCom) is responsible for the administration and operation of all task force elements within the TCN. Fleet Command’s headquarters is located in Tau-Ceti and it operates a number of sub-command groups in each sector of the confederation.
Marine Command (MarCom) is responsible for the administration and operation of the Terran Confederate Marines and all forces attached to them, their Headquarters is located on Hawaii Earth.
Naval Intelligence (IntCom) is responsible for all intelligence gathering operations within the TCN. Due to the nature of their duty IntCom maintains its own separate fleet and logistic structure and has dedicated facilities. IntCom’s Headquarters is located on Venus.
Logistics Command (LogCom) is responsible for overseeing all logistical operations of the TCN including resupply, cartography, training and procurement. Their Headquarters is located in Arcadia on Mars.
Head Quarters – Strategic Command
Strategic Command (StratCom) is responsible for the overall command and control of naval forces at a Strategic Level; it is StratCom that forms the overall plan of action that the other command groups follow. Its Headquarters is on Luna.
The TCN is commanded through Naval Headquarters, Strategic Command (StratCom-NHQ) Armstrong Base, Luna. The professional head is the Chief of Navy (COMNAV) who holds the rank of Fleet Admiral. NHQ is responsible for implementing policy decisions handed down from the Department of Defence, Sectary of Defence and the Federal Security Council and for overseeing all tactical, strategic and operational issues that are the preview of the Subordinate commands.
Beneath NHQ are four subordinate commands:
- Fleet Command: Led by Commander Confederation Fleet (COMCONFLT). COMCONFLT holds the rank Admiral and is responsible for all fleet deployments and operational commands. The nominated sector fleet commanders are Vice Admiral rank and termed Commander Sector Fleet # (COMSECFLT) and are responsible for all ships under their command region. The nominated at-space commander is Commander Warfare Fleet # (COMWARFLT). Fleet command has responsibility to COMNAV for the full command of assigned assets and to Joint Operations Command for the provision of operationally ready forces.
- Marine Command: Lead by Commandant Confederate Marines (COMCONMARINE). COMCONMARINE holds the rank of General and is responsible for all Marine deployments and operational commands. The nominated sector commands are Lieutenant General rank and termed Commander Marine Fleet # (COMMARINEFLEET) and are responsible for all marine units currently on deployment within their command region. The nominated at-space commander is Commander Marine Force # (COMMARINEFOR). Marine Command has responsibility to COMNAV for the full command of assigned assets and to Fleet and Joint Operations Command for the provision of operationally ready forces.
- Naval Intelligence Command: Lead by Commander Naval Intelligence (COMNAVINT). COMNAVINT holds the rank of Admiral and is responsible for all intelligence gathering assets and operations. Nominated sector commanders are rear admiral rank and termed Commander Sector Intelligence (COMSECINT) and are responsible for overseeing all intelligence operations within their sector of command.
- Logistics Command: Lead by Commander Logistics Command (COMLOGCOM). COMLOGCOM holds the rank of Admiral and is responsible for overseeing all logistical needs of the Terran Confederate Navy, Logistics command is broken into a number of subcommands:
- Training Command: Lead by Commandant Naval Training (COMNAVTRAIN). COMNAVTRAIN holds the rank of Rear Admiral and is responsible for overseeing all Naval recruitment and training requirements and facilities. COMNAVTRAIN is supported by the Commandants of the various Academies and the Commanders of Sector Training Commands.
- Naval Engineer Command: Lead by Commander Naval Engineering (COMNAVENG). COMNAVENG holds the rank of Vice Admiral and is responsible for overseeing all construction and related procurement. COMNAVENG is supported by Commander Naval Engineering Sector command (COMNAVENGSEC). COMNAVENGSEC is Rear Admiral in rank and oversees all Engineering Corps operations within their assigned sector and is responsible for the assignment of assets and completion of tasks.
- Naval Procurement Command: Lead by Commander Naval Procurement (COMNAVPROC). COMNAVPROC holds the rank of Rear Admiral and is responsible for procurement, distribution and supply of required material to Naval Assets.
- Naval Exploration Command: Lead by Commander Naval Exploration (COMNAVEXP). COMNAVEXP holds the rank of Vice Admiral and is responsible for all operations of the Explorer Corps and the maintenance and updating of all stellar cartography charts and data used by the TCN.
As of 2223 the TCN fleet consisted of 372,000 warships including corvettes, destroyers, cruisers, battle cruisers, carriers, dreadnaughts and auxiliary ships. Ships commissioned into the TCN are given the prefix TCNS (Terran Confederation Naval Ship).
The TCN has Six primary bases for it’s fleet:
- Fleet Base Kennedy, Located at TCNS Cerberus, Ceti-Prime
- Fleet Base Nigoto, Located at TCNS Hydra, ???
- Fleet Base Wartel, Located at TCNS Phoenix, ???
- Fleet Base Gagarin, Located at TCNS Pegasus, Acamar 3
- Fleet Base Que’Ali, Located at TCNS Griffin, ???
- Fleet Base Olson, Located at TCN Sphinx, ???
In addition most major planetary system orbital stations have naval outposts and facilities, along with the Naval Construction Yards Utopia, Mars.